Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Comment on "Dare to Share's 5 Teen Trends of 2007"

You discuss the teen trends that you feel will take place in 2007. For example, you explain how "there will be an increase of teen volunteers or new programs for community involvement managed entirely online." I do feel that teens are volunteering more (especially because it looks good on college applications) , and that the Internet has become a significant medium; however, I do not think that teens will begin isolating themselves in their bedrooms because of it. Teens still enjoy going out with friends and being "out on the town." The Internet and computers do make many things convenient, but I do not think that they are ready to take over the entire lives of a teen. Like you explain, teens will be involved with their community, but will also have the characteristic of staying indoors, downloading things on their iPod, etc. You explain how they exhibit strong individualism as well as communal-ism. You also mentioned how teens will increasingly individualize their beliefs. I agree, I think that many teens today are not afraid to express their beliefs just because their friends have a different view. They are even able to see celebrities express their religious beliefs freely. I think that individualism is really popular, but at the same time, teens are finding other ways to fit in with their peers, religious and other beliefs aside. You also explain how students will no longer see value in formal education as much as street education. I do not agree with this view. I do feel that teens highly value "street education," but I also feel that many see a strong value in formal education as more and more teens are choosing to attend college.

No comments: